Go Boating with Confidence

A message from our Managing Director, Cheryl Brown

There is no doubt the recent months have been the biggest challenge that Le Boat, and the travel industry as a whole,  has ever faced. The uncertainty, the disruption, the financial impact and the profound affect it has had on customers and colleagues alike have all been unprecedented. 


However, at Le Boat we are very fortunate to have excellent domestic and drive-to destinations which means we are able to resume our operations a lot quicker than others, particularly those travel operators who exclusively operate overseas. And our holidays make for the perfect post-lockdown getaway, allowing our customer to avoid busy ports and big cities. Our waterways meander through beautiful countryside and tucked away villages where there’s the freedom and space to keep a safe distance from others, while reconnecting with friends and loved ones who we’ve been parted from for so long. 


The Le Boat team have been working tirelessly these past months to prepare our business to reopen as soon as we are able to. We have reviewed and adapted our operations to ensure we can safely deliver amazing holidays in the new ‘post-Covid’ world we will shortly find ourselves in. We’re ready to welcome customers to our bases where new social distancing measures have been put in place. A completely revamped pre-departure process will reduce the time spent in our reception areas and our new cleaning protocols will ensure are bases and boats are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected for the safety of our guests and colleagues alike. This means our guests can relax with peace of mind and get on with enjoying their much-deserved holiday.  


And I’m delighted that the first ‘green shoots’ of recovery are beginning to appear. Our bases in Germany are now open and will be welcoming customers from 25th May.  I am very optimistic that our bases in our other regions will steadily follow suit throughout June and July. 


These have been challenging times and I’d like thank my wonderful Le Boat team around the world for their hard work and fortitude. And my thanks also go to our lovely customers for their understanding and patience. There’s still a long way to go, but there’s at least light at the end of the tunnel and we’re motoring our way towards it.



Coronavirus FAQs

Existing bookings

To give you additional peace of mind during this period of uncertainty, with our ‘Go Boating with Confidence’ policy you may either amend your holiday to a later date or, if you are not ready to rebook, you will receive a refund credit which can applied to any future holiday departing in 2020 or 2021. 


You may cancel/amend for any reason, so long as your departure is on or before 31st July 2020 and you let us know at least 48hours before 2pm of your booked departure day.

If you cancel/amend because of one of the following coronavirus related reasons, you may do so right up until the day of departure. This applies to any booking departing in 2020.


  • We have confirmed we are unable to operate your holiday due to local government restrictions.
  • You are unable to reach your destination due to confirmed border closures, local government restrictions or if the Foreign Office advises against ‘all‘ or ‘all but essential travel‘ to your booked destination AND such measures or advice is confirmed to still be in place on your date of departure.
  • Any member of your party displays symptoms of coronavirus in the weeks prior to your departure (see below question ‘What should I do if I, or a member of my party, feels unwell PRIOR to my holiday?’)
  • The government instructs you not to mix with any members of the party with who you planned to travel with, and this advice is confirmed to be in place at the time of your departure.
  • You are instructed by the authorities to self-quarantine after your return to your home country.


All booking credit must be redeemed against bookings that end/return no later than 29th October 2021. We hope this policy means you’ll continue to book and travel with Le Boat with confidence.


Please contact us. And remember you must notify us of your wish to amend or cancel at least 48 hours before your departure date. If you call, call volumes may be higher than normal and we thank you for your patience.


If your holiday is not longer able to operate because your base is unable to open, we will be in touch with you, as and when we know your departure is affected.

Click here for more details about which boating regions and travel dates have been directly affected.

If your new holiday is cheaper, outstanding credit will be held until the 31st October 2021 for you to use against subsequent bookings. If your new holiday is more expensive, you will need to pay the additional cost. We will explore all the available options with you and try our best to find a holiday of similar value.

If you wish to cancel your booking before your balance is due, we will retain your deposit for use against a future booking.


If you wish to amend your departure date to a later date (no later than 2021) – your balance due date will be recalculated based on your new departure date.


If you wish to keep you booking in place so you can decide later on whether to amend or cancel, you must pay your balance in accordance with our usual terms and conditions. You may then subsequently decide to amend or cancel, in accordance with the above policy, if you wish.

We are constantly monitoring government advise and restrictions on movement and travel, both here and in each of our destinations. Because of such restrictions, we have had to delay some departures, either because we are unable to open our bases, or because customers are unable to travel. Bookings that are directly affected in this way will be subject to our Go Boating with Confidence Policy (as detailed above) and we will contact these customers directly.


Click here for more details about which boating regions and travel dates have been directly affected.


For bookings not yet affected, our Go Boating with Confidence Policy still applies, but you should contact us if you wish to amend your booking, or if you wish to cancel and receive a refund credit.

The situation is changing very fast and we advise you to refer to State Department advise about how Coronavirus is effecting outbound travel from this country, as well as inbound travel to each of our destinations.



With regards to how our bases are affected:

EUROPE: Owing to the closure of many non-essential establishments, such as restaurants and cafes, which includes the operation of locks in some countries, we have delayed opening all our bases in Europe until Monday April 20th  2020. We will be in touch with all customers who were due to travel before this date, to discuss alternative vacation arrangements.

CANADA: Due to open on May 15th, 2020 as scheduled.

We take the safety of our customers and colleagues very seriously and we have carefully reviewed and adapted the procedures at our bases to ensure we can operate in accordance with strict social distancing and safety guidelines. We have also enhanced our cleaning protocols to ensure our bases are cleaned more regularly and that our boats are thoroughly disinfected between each use. We call this our Covid Safety Charter. For more details about everything we are doing to keep you safe and prevent the spread of coronavirus, visit our Covid Safety Charter page.

The safety of our colleagues and guest are of paramount importance and we are doing everything we can to prevent the spread of coronavirus at our bases. We must ask our customer to assist us in our efforts. As such, if any member of your party starts to display symptoms coronavirus symptoms (see below), within the 7 days prior to your departure, they should not travel to our base. If they do, they will not be allowed to proceed with their holiday. Similarly, if any member of your party is in contact with anyone displaying symptoms within 14 days of departure, including anyone that is alerted by a mobile tracing app, they should not travel to our base.


If this means you need to amend or cancel your holiday in accordance with the above policy, you may do so right up to the day of departure. Please call us as soon as you know. 


If our base team notices or suspects anyone with coronavirus symptoms, they will be required to take that person’s temperature. If it is 37.8C or higher, you will be asked to seek medical advice and they, as well as the rest of the party, will not be allowed to board the boat.


If you are able to prove by means of a positive antibody test that you have already had coronavirus, you should bring your test result certificate with you if you are still displaying symptoms, so that you may proceed with your holiday as planned.


We would consider coronavirus symptoms to be:

  • a new continuous cough
  • fever/high temperature (37.8C or greater)
  • loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste (anosmia)

A new continuous cough is where you:

  • have a new cough that’s lasted for an hour
  • have had 3 or more episodes of coughing in 24 hours
  • are coughing more than usual

In the event that you or a member of your party begin to display coronavirus symptoms (see below) during your trip, please isolate all crew members on board your boat and contact our base team who can advise the most appropriate and nearest source of medical advice. You should make arrangements to return home as soon as feasible. The base team will discuss with you if, and where, you should navigate your boat to. The base team will arrange a postal check-out with you to prevent any contact with other customers and our colleagues at our base.


From the time you leave your boat, we will calculate the cost of the unused portion of the vacation in full 24hr increments and retain this as credit which you can use towards a future Le Boat vacation.


We would consider coronavirus symptoms to be:

  • a new continuous cough
  • fever/high temperature (37.8C or greater)
  • loss of, or change in, sense of smell or taste (anosmia)

A new continuous cough is where you: 

  • have a new cough that’s lasted for an hour
  • have had 3 or more episodes of coughing in 24 hours
  • are coughing more than usual

As we are sure you can appreciate our phone lines are extremely busy at the moment, so please bear with us whilst we support customers with imminent departure dates.


If you would like to discuss a holiday that departs within the next 4 weeks, or you have any other concerns or questions about our 'Go boating with confidence’ policy, please feel free to contact us. If your existing booking departure date is not within the next 4 weeks, please consider contacting us nearer to your departure date.

New bookings

Yes - our 'Go boating with confidence' policy applies to all new bookings, as well as existing booking, so you can continue to book with the confidence.

With many countries on lock down and travel severely restricted it’s not a great time to go on holiday right now – which is why we have delayed the opening of all our European bases. Click here for our expected opening dates. However, we continue to monitor government advise and restrictions and we are ready to open each of our bases, in each region, as soon as local government advise says we are able to safely do so.


We are looking forward to giving our customers the opportunity to enjoy some much-needed time away - to explore the great outdoors once more and spend some quality time together with friends and family, who we may not have seen for a while. And a boating holiday makes for the perfect escape.

Read our blog to find out why

Le Boat is the market leading provider of boating holidays across Europe and Canada, and we have been successfully operating for more than 50 years. We also have the security of being part of Travelopia, the world’s largest collection of specialist travel brands, and we have the full support of our owner KKR, one of the world’s largest global equity firms. We are in a very strong position.